I’ve officially made it past my 90 days at my new job, although I guess it’s safe to say I’m not so new anymore! I have to admit, the past three months have completely flown by. I have learned so much and continue to learn more as time passes. Most positions require you to do a 90 trial period, which helps the company decide if you’re a good fit and also helps you decided if you like the company. Needless to say, I LOVE it here. I found a home away from home.
In public relations and most positions, it’s not 9am-5pm; it’s spontaneous and adventurous with a side of anxiety. But it’s important to love what you do in this industry because it just so happens that you spend more time with your co-workers than you do with your own family.
I’ve found that giving yourself a 90 day trial period to get settled in is the perfect test. Not only is it perfect for a job, but also for your day-to-day life. You never know when and where you’ll find YOUR home away from home. Here are 5 major changes in your life that you should give 90 days before passing judgment.
- College: If you are a transfer student (like I was) you can’t label the school horrible until you’ve given it 3 months.
- Relationships: Some people rush their relationships and find that after a few days or weeks that person is not for them. I think giving someone time allows them to have a chance to show true colors and feelings.
- Friendships: Similar to relationships, friendships can become quite complicated. Giving someone a chance is important though, especially you want to give up over a small argument.
- Jobs: As I explained above, the 90 days gives you a chance to see if the position is for you or if you’d like to try something else.
- City: Take it from someone who’s lived in seven different states in seven years; give your new city a chance.